It’s a pleasure for me to have you here again, Premium Social Customer’s friends!
The wide variety of SN give brands the opportunity to choose which are best suited to address to their target audience. Consequently, we can classify as follows without being exhaustive the best known Social Networks according to type of target customer:
- FACEBOOK: the main social network, with nearly one thousand million followers on a global level. For that reason all brands whatever their niche market must be present on it.
- GOOGLE PLUS: with nearly 250 million followers worldwide and becoming increasingly popular, especially for those already on Facebook and looking for something new and different. It grows like wildfire and it’s an interesting choice to address “techies”. The majority of their users are men and also with an economic and cultural level higher than Facebook’s average, so it’s especially interesting for these targets. Furthermore, the fact of belonging to the world’s largest search engine is definitely its strongest point, particularly regarding SEO, so little by little it’s being increasingly used by brands.
- TWITTER: the most interactive social network, caracterised by the speed of shared short messages called tweets. Brands must be concious that its users expect much more rapidity in replies on it than on the other networks, so it’s necessary for companies that their Twitter profile have a very clear and visible information with their business hours and they do not exceed in any case more than 4 or 5 hours to answer customer tweets. The fastest the response, the better for the brand image. It is especially indicated for the service sector, for example in banking, airlines or telephone companies.
- PINTEREST, FLICKR, INSTAGRAM: for companies where it’s particularly interesting the use of images to sell the product such as fashion, automotive or travel. The most used is Pinterest, with over 11 million users worldwide of which 80% are women, that’s why brands with female oriented products should always include it in their strategies, although it’s being increasingly followed also by males. Flickr is the least popular of them. As for Instagram, it is only available on iPhone and Android, but do not forget that the future is SoLoMo and the trend is to increasingly access the Internet through smartphones, consequently the most advanced users in that sense use to be very loyal to it.
- YOU TUBE, VIMEO: Social Networks used to promote brands through videos, with all that it means in terms of virality and SEO positioning. Vimeo has a much higher quality than YouTube but has far fewer followers. Consequently at the present time, most brands use You Tube in order to reach more users. Vimeo is indicated to target an audience more demanding with image quality.
- LINKED IN: initially oriented to people of high professional level, this is changing rapidly and it’s becoming increasingly popular. For brands it is often used to strengthen the company’s corporate image.
- FOURSQUARE: Geotagging and geolocation Social Network. Used by businesses of all sizes to be located and allow opinions of their customers. Perfect for shops, bars and restaurants. Its competition are Google Places and Facebook Places.
- TRIP ADVISOR: excellent travel guide used to promote destinations, hotels, restaurants, museums and sightseeings in general. Its users comment and give their score of those places they have visited. Interesting for tourism and gastronomy. Its audience are travel enthusiasts that are classified at different levels by Trip Advisor depending on the amount of comments received.
As we have seen, there is a wide range of Social Networks and we haven’t mentioned all of them. Many are generalists and others for very specific niche markets. There will be even more in the coming years according to estimates. Those brands that will not be present on those more suited to their marketing strategy, image and target customers will fall behind so they have to do it as soon as possible since there is no other choice. However, it is not enough to have accounts on them but they must do it right and not only in the sense of promotional marketing but they must also offer an excellent Social Customer Service in order to obtain the engagement of their community and this can only be achieved with properly trained customer oriented Community Managers.